CSSS 2008 Argentina-Visa Requirements

From Santa Fe Institute Events Wiki

CSSS Argentina 2008

Visa or No Visa

U.S. citizens traveling to Argentina will need a machine-readable passport which will not expire while you are out of the country. You may stay up to 90 days, for business or pleasure. For more information, see <>. Please also see information from the Department of State web site (below) regarding medical insurance and travel advisories.

For non-U.S. citizens traveling to Argentina, you will need to determine your country's requirements for travel. Some nationalities can get 90 days on entry with a passport: Andorra, Australia, Austria, Barbados, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Chile, Cyprus, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Germany, Great Britain and North Ireland, Finland, France, Greece, Guatemala, Haiti, Holly See, Honduras, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Nicaragua, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, St. Lucia, Singapore, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, United States of America, Uruguay, Venezuela, and Yugoslavia. The following nationalities will be permitted to stay for 30 days with a passport: Granada, Hong Kong (with BN passport), Jamaica, and Malaysia. Everyone else needs to apply for a visa in advance. Please note that if you land in the U.S. for a connecting flight, you will also need to check whether a visa is required for this brief entry. For more information, please contact Laura Ware.

For foreign nationals currently studying or residing in the U.S. who will be reimbursed for expenses, we will need to have permission from your visa sponsor to make payment to you. Be sure to see your Responsible Officer for any necessary signatures before you travel; take all your original visa documents with you; and ensure that your passport will not expire during this trip. An SFI employee will ask to see and make copies of your documents during the summer school. For more information, please contact Laura Ware.

Medical Insurance and Care

If an American citizen becomes seriously ill or injured abroad, a U. S. consular officer can assist in locating appropriate medical services and informing family or friends. If necessary, a consular officer can also assist in the transfer of funds from the United States. For facilities in Argentina, see <>.

However, payment of hospital and other expenses is the responsibility of the traveler. REMEMBER to carry both your insurance policy identity card as proof of such insurance and a claim form. Although many health insurance companies will pay "customary and reasonable" hospital costs abroad, very few will pay for your medical evacuation back to the United States. Medical evacuation can easily cost $10,000 and up, depending on your location and medical condition.

If you do not have medical or travel coverage currently, we recommend that you purchase travel insurance for this event.

A traveler going abroad with any preexisting medical problems should carry a letter from the attending physician, describing the medical condition and any prescription medications, including the generic name of prescribed drugs. Any medications being carried overseas should be left in their original containers and be clearly labeled. Travelers should check with the foreign embassy of the country they are visiting to make sure any required medications are not considered to be illegal narcotics.

Travel Warnings

Current travel warning <>--none for Argentina at this time.