From Santa Fe Institute Events Wiki
I am a Principal Multi-Disciplinary Systems Engineer and Associate Department Head at the MITRE Corporation www.mitre.org located in Virginia near Washington, DC. For the past 10 years, I have been applying engineering techniques to develop solutions and decision systems for national (US) and international challenges. I enjoy time with my family, fishing, and outdoor activities. In my spare time, I am an adjunct faculty member at the Northern Virginia Community College and have taught introductory courses in Information Technology, Systems Analysis, and Computer Science.
1. What are your main interests? Feel free to include a "pie in the sky" big idea!
- My main interests are in the application of techniques from multiple disciplines to problems that have political, organizational, social, economic, and technological challenges. I enjoy finding non-conventional application of tools, techniques, or processes to study and solve problems.
- My recent work has been the application of modeling and simulation techniques to explore interactions, mature perception of systems, and provide a knowledge basis for both strategic and tactical decision making.
2. What sorts of expertise can you bring to the group?
- I bring 25 years of work experience leveraging techniques and technologies against poorly defined, poorly understood, and dynamic environments where solutions were required under demanding time, schedule, and cost constraints.
3. What do you hope to get out of the CSSS?
- I hope to gain additional perspectives and approaches to complex problems. I look forward to working with the other class participants, refreshing my knowledge of mathematic techniques, and contributing a philosophical knowledge of the art of systems engineering and its application.
4. Do you have any possible projects in mind for the CSSS?
I do not have any projects in mind.