Graduate Workshop in Computational Social Science - Useful Resources 2018
From Santa Fe Institute Events Wiki
The printable version is no longer supported and may have rendering errors. Please update your browser bookmarks and please use the default browser print function instead.
Computer packages and libraries
- Eclipse Eclipse is an integrated development environment (IDE) that makes programming and debugging orders of magnitudes easier.
- R is a free software environment for statistical computing and graphics.
- SAGE Creating a viable free open source alternative toMagma, Maple, Mathematica, and Matlab.
- MASON - Java-based toolkit for multiagent simulation.
- ECJ Evolutionary computation toolkit in Java that dovetails with MASON.
- Repast Simphony is a free and open source agent-based modeling toolkit written in Java.
- Ascape Java-based agent-based modeling toolkit developed at the Brookings Institution by Miles T. Parker.
- NetLogo NetLogo is a cross-platform multi-agent procedural programmable modeling environment.
- Framsticks Framsticks is an artificial life package for evolving 3-D creatures with neural network nervous systems.
- breve Open-source, cross-platform 3d simulation in python or steve (with good creature evolution examples)
- This page has a summary of software and toolkits for agent-based and complex adaptive systems: 
- Another page about programs for agent based modeling: 
- igraph: package for creating and manipulating undirected and directed graphs. Has interfaces to many different programming languages.
- PyGene - a simple library for genetic algorithms and genetic programming in python
Guides and Tutorials
- AgentModelingGuide Robert Axelrod and Leigh Tesfatsion's On-Line Guide for Newcomers to Agent-Based Modeling in the Social Sciences
- RepastGuide Leigh Tesfatsion's Self-Study Guide for Java-Based Repast
- AscapeTutorial What is Ascape and Why Should You Care? Miles T. Parker's intro and tutorial to Ascape published in JASSS.
- EclipseABM Guides to using the Eclipse IDE with agent-based modeling environments including MASON, RePast, and Ascape.
Interesting Related Works
- Reimplementation of Axelrod's "Evolution of Cooperation": Reimplementation and re-experimentation of the famous Axelrod's paper, where after tuning some parameters it is observed how results provided by Axelrod where not complete.
- Evolutionary Conditions for the Emergence of Communication in Robots Floreano et al., Current Biology, 2007.
- Solving traveling salesman problems with DNA molecules encoding numerical values Lee et al., Biosystems, 2004.
- Coupled replicator equations for the dynamics of learning in multiagent systems Sato & Crutchfield, Physical Review E, 2003.
- Interesting article from Wired: The End of Theory: The Data Deluge.
- And an interesting response from Shalizi, i.e. why the Wired article is crap.