Complex Systems Summer School 2016-After Hours
From Santa Fe Institute Events Wiki
- 1 June 18, Taos!
- 2 July 1 Opera
- 3 June 17, Out on the town in Santa Fe
- 4 June 23, 6:00pm - Rodeo de Santa Fe
- 5 June 25, 10:00am - Bandelier Field Trip
- 6 Other Ideas
- 7 Weekend Trips
- 8 July 2 - July 4: Carlsbad Cavern and Whitesand National Monument trip
- 9 Jun 25 - Jun 26: Bisti Badland overnight trip
June 18, Taos!
JP wants to take a trip up to Taos & Ojo Caliente. Come see small mountain towns, interesting geology, and maybe a stop at Ojo Caliente Hot Springs on our return.
Current plan will be to meet up in the parking circle at St. John's at 10:00am on Saturday morning. We'll then head up through the High Road to Taos and see some nice old towns, then lunch in Taos, see the Rio Grande Gorge, go to art museums,. On the way back, if some people feel like it, we can stop at Ojo Caliente Hot Springs.
JP's Cool Hatchback GTI
Santiago's K00L Rental (5 seats)
Question: do passenger split the cost of rental and gas/insurance .etc? Answer: Yes. Unless you're feeling exceptionally generous. -JP
Interested in renting a car as a group
Please specify whether you would like to drive, the kind of insurance you have for that, and whether you would like to use the car to go to more places as a group. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the current rental plan and proposed prices.
- Fabio: I can drive; I have a Maryland driver's license and an auto rental collision damage waiver with my Visa credit card.
- Xiao (Thomas) Zhang: MI diver license. I am happy to drive if needed but unfortunately I don't have a rental insurance.
- Nicole (I can give up my seat above if we need a driver, CO drivers license, insured. but I would rather not drive unless needed)
- Dan (NY driver's license, can drive and have a credit card with rental insurance)
- Ben, I don't have a licence.
- Lu Liu:PA driver license, not specific insurance. I can drive if needed.
Still need a ride
July 1 Opera
The Santa Fe Opera season starts July 1 with Puccini's 1910 La Fanciulla del West -- a gold rush era drama set in the American West, called a "lyrical poem" by a Toscanini, and starring Minnie, a saloon owner who becomes the outlaw protagonists's love interest.
Seems like the perfect opera to see while we are in Santa Fe! It's common at the Santa Fe Opera to tailgate first -- which we can do with a quick trip to Whole Foods on our way.
If you're interested in going, sign up here. In a day or two we'll work on getting tickets together. Ticket prices seem to range from about $37 to over $300.
Marla or Abigail
Sign up here
- Nicole! (thanks so much for organizing this. It sounds amazing!)
June 17, Out on the town in Santa Fe
Is anyone interested in going out in Santa Fe after our first visit to the Santa Fe Institute? Drivers would be nice, but I was thinking we could uber there/back if people (understandably) don't want to DD
Open to suggestions for location
- Dan Biro
<!*We'll be bussing folks back from SFI on Friday after our BBQ and can drop at some location in town -JP*!>
- Hey JP, any recommendation for good hangouts? I know folks have gone to Second Street but I've heard margaritas at the Shed are good (that's more of a restaurant, though, IIRC). - Ellen
Second Street, Draft Station, Thunderbird, Secreto are all pretty cool hangouts. There's also the Violet Crown movie theater with a *huge* beer selection and nice open space down in the Railyard. -JP
June 23, 6:00pm - Rodeo de Santa Fe
Come on down for the 67th annual Rodeo de Santa Fe! Watch real-life cowboys get thrown off of various species of raging livestock for their competition and your entertainment. Starts at 7:00pm, we should leave SJC about 6:00. http://rodeodesantafe.org/
Interested: Juni, JP, Ellen
2. Evelyn Strombom
JP's Totally Cool VW GTI (5 seats)
JP's Almost-as-cool Toyota 4Runner(5 seats)
1.<Gaetano - Awesome to drive it!>
2. Nai Seng
4. Ben Zhu
Biking (~ 8 miles downhill on the way)
1. Nicole (if others come)
3.Thomas (if there's a bike rental....)
Devrim's car (total 5 seats, I won't be driving (biking) but can lend my car to someone, contact me email@example.com (5 seats)
1. Ruichen (I can drive:-)!)
Still Needs a Ride
1. Ellen (MITREmobile might be available)
3. Moriah Echlin
June 25, 10:00am - Bandelier Field Trip
- Fractal Foundation Fractal Shows (http://fractalfoundation.org/fractal-shows/): First Friday in Albuquerque (July 1), Fourth Friday in Los Alamos (June 24)
- Rodeo de Santa Fe, June 22-25th
- Currents New Media Festival, Weekends in the Railyard
- Santa Fe Lavender Festival, June 18-19
- Santa Fe Opera!! options: 8:30pm start Fri July 1, Wed July 6 La Fanciuall del West (Puccini); Sat July 2 Don Giovanni
- 4th of July on Santa Fe Plaza
July 2 - July 4: Carlsbad Cavern and Whitesand National Monument trip
- Organizer: Ruichen: I have reserved a SUV from Enterprise for this trip (5 seats including driver). Cost will be split among everyone who participates:-) I have a California driver's license. I would like to stay at Airbnb or hostel/affordable hotel for both nights, since it is fairly close to the US/Mexico border and may not be safe to wander in the wild at night..
Please sign up below. If you can drive, that would be a plus! (Ideally, it would be good to have at least 2-3 persons who can drive in such a multi-day road trip)
- Nicole: I am really interested in this and would be willing to help organize.
Jun 25 - Jun 26: Bisti Badland overnight trip
- Ruichen (Organizer): I have reserved one SUV for this overnight trip (seats 5, including driver).
Camping is an option, but I do not haven any gear. And there is no campsite in the park. I am thinking that maybe we can stay at Farmington, the closest town, and commute in and out the park. Cost will be split among everyone who participates:-) I have a California driver's license.
Please sign up below. If you can drive, that would be a plus! (Ideally, it would be good to have at least 2-3 drivers in such a multi-day road trip)