Difference between revisions of "CSSS 2008 Beijing-Readings-Week-Two"
From Santa Fe Institute Events Wiki
(→Aaron Clauset: added lecture notes files)
m (→Aaron Clauset)
|Line 5:||Line 5:|
* Introduction to Networks I (
* Introduction to Networks II (
* Power Laws (
* Introduction to Networks I ([[Media:Clauset_2008_Networks_1.pdf|lecture notes]])
* Introduction to Networks II ([[Media:Clauset_2008_Networks_2.pdf|lecture notes]])
* Power Laws ([[Media:Clauset_2008_PowerLaws_3.pdf|lecture notes]])
Revision as of 22:31, 15 July 2008
|CSSS 2008 Beijing|
Topics and Lecture Notes
- Introduction to Networks I - Structure (lecture notes)
- Introduction to Networks II - Models & Dynamics (lecture notes)
- Power Laws (lecture notes)
The following references cover background material for the three lectures.
- "The Structure and function of complex networks." M. E. J. Newman, SIAM Review 45, 167-256 (2003)
- "Power-law distributions in empirical data." A. Clauset, C. R. Shalizi and M. E. J. Newman. arXiv:0706.1062 (2007).
Introduction to Weighted Networks
- Ying Fan, Menghui Li, Peng Zhang, Jinshan Wub, Zengru Di. Accuracy and precision of methods for community identification in weighted networks. Physica A 377 (2007) 363372.
- S. Boccaletti, , V. Latora, Y. Moreno, M. Chavef , D.-U. Hwang. Complex networks: Structure and dynamics. Physics Reports 424 (2006) 175 308.
- Menghui Li, Ying Fan, Dahui Wang, Daqing Li, Jinshan Wu, Zengru D. Small-world effect induced by weight randomization on regular networks. Physics Letters A 364 (2007) 488493.
- Menghui Li, Dahui Wang, Ying Fan, Zengru Di, and Jinshan Wu1. Modelling weighted networks using connection count. New Journal of Physics 8 (2006) 72.
Collective Behavior of Multi-agent systems.
Lecture 2: Synchronization and “Soft Control”.
- Lecture 1: Symbolic dynamics in action or Applied symbolic dynamics (First part of the
lecture) and Applied symbolic dynamics from 1D to 2D to ODE (Second part of the lecture)
- Lecture 2: Visualization of DNA data and a few nice math therefrom (A PPT that contains more than used in class)
Lecture 1：Symbolic Dynamics in Action or Applied Symbolic Dynamics
1. Bailin Hao, Elementary Symbolic Dyanmics and Chaos in Dissipative Systems,
a monograph, World Scientific, 1989. Downloadable from Hao's webpage: http://www.itp.ac.cn/~hao/ESDCDS-hao.pdf Hao's apology: Since not all figures in this book were Postscript files and I have not made them into .eps yet, I have put an image of my personal copy in my website. It is a file of more than 20MB. That is why I did not put it in the SFI Wiki. I hope I will be able to do it in not-distant future. The symbolic dynamics chapters of this book are somehow outdated. For those who want to learn more about symbolic dynamics I suggest the following book.
2. Bailin Hao and Weimou Zheng, Applied Symbolic Dynamics and Chaos, WSPC, 1998,
430pp. There is one copy at SFI's Library and in ITP-CAS Library.
1. Shen Junjie at al., SeeDNA: a visualization tool for long DNA sequences and complete genomes It runs on RedHat Linux with GTK support. Its C source may be downloaded from Hao's website: http://www.itp.ac.cn/~hao/SeeDNA.tar.gz.
2. Bailin Hao and Huimin Xie, Factorizable Language: From Dyanmics to Biology
4. Bailin Hao and Lei Gao, Prokaryotic branch of tree of life: a composition vector approach
- Joseph Henrich and Richard McElreath, The Evolution of Cultural Evolution , Evolutionary Anthropology 12:123135 (2003).
- Top Down vs. Bottom Up: Gut Microbiota and Whole-body Systems Biology Four slides on each page.
- Top Down vs. Bottom Up: Gut Microbiota and Whole-body Systems Biology One slide on each page.
- Pang et al., Inter-species transplantation of gut microbiota from human to pigs, The ISME J. 1(2007): 156-162)
- Wei Jia, Houkai Li, Liping Zhao, and Jeremy K. Nicholson, Got microbiota: a potential new territory for drug targeting, Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, 7 (Feb 2008): 123-129.
- Min Li et al., Symbiotic gut microbes modulate human metabolic phenotypes, Prod. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 105(6) (Feb 2008): 2117-2122.