CSSS 2007 Santa Fe-U.S. Visa Requirements

From Santa Fe Institute Events Wiki

Revision as of 17:33, 20 April 2007 by Stacey (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
CSSS Santa Fe 2007


Scholars and researchers from throughout the world have attended the Santa Fe Complex Systems Summer School during the past 20 years. The vast majority of foreign participants have entered the US with no problems whatsoever. Nevertheless, it is very important to determine any visa needs you may have well in advance of your visit. We strongly advise you to check with authorities in your own country to determine whether you will need a visa to come to the summer school, and if so to determine which visa status is best for you. The following information about visa types may be helpful.

Citizens of some countries (such as most European Union countries) may be able to enter the US for stays of up to 90 days without a visa (a valid passport is still required). In addition to citizenship in one of the visa waiver countries, there are a number of other eligibility requirements that must be met. Please consult with the US Embassy in your country to determine whether you qualify for the visa waiver. For general information, see:

Many participants in the CSSS enter the US on a B-1/B-2 (business/tourist) visa. We have been informed that the US Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) is planning to implement more stringent limits on the length of stay allowed on B visas in the near future. You should check with the US Embassy in your country before applying for this visa to confirm that it will meet your needs, especially if you plan to spend extra time in the US before or after the summer school.

Please note that if your visa status is valid for tourism only (“B-2” visa, or a passport marked “W/T” in case of visa waiver), we will not be able to reimburse your expenses. Even if you have not been awarded a travel scholarship, we cannot pay for your accommodations or meals at St. John's College if you enter the US as a tourist with a B2 or W/T notation. Be sure to explain to the INS official that you are coming to the US for business purposes to attend a training program. Visa designations of “B-1” or “B-1/B-2,” or a passport marked “W/B” or “WB/WT” in case of visa waiver, are acceptable.

It is YOUR responsibility to present US consular officials with all application requirements and supporting documents in a manner that can be reviewed quickly and provide substantial evidence for visa approval. It is best to apply for a visa as soon as possible, as the approval process can take two months or more in some cases.

For more information on US Embassy locations and visa procedures in your own country, visit: . Please contact SFI’s visa assistant, Tim Taylor ( if you have further questions about visa issues.