CSSS 2007 Santa Fe-After Hours
From Santa Fe Institute Events Wiki
|CSSS Santa Fe 2007
Anyone for Bridge?
- I realise this may be betraying my inner geek a little too much, but I was just wondering if anyone at the school was interested in getting together for a bit of just-for-fun bridge? If enough people are interested, then maybe we could organise a regular evening while we're here. It's a great game and should appeal to all complexity students! (9 out of 10 Grandmothers can't be wrong......!) Any takers, just get in touch with me! [Hannah]
You are a geek. I like playing 500. I would be up for learning Bridge if people are patient. [Ryan]
Have to admit that I played some bridge a loooong time ago... forgotten most about it by now though. But I'm willing to give it a shot (hope for your own sake that you're better in bridge than in pool Hannah ;D) [Johan]
its time to face facts: we all are geeks (you too have been tainted with this brush ryan!) and should be wallowing in it. can this session be titled "everything you ever wanted to know about bridge but were too afraid to ask?" if so, I am in [dan]
I'm sure I can manage to articulate the basics to a willing audience ;o) Hannah
Monday, June 11
- 7:00 soccer, perhaps low attendance due to the Matlab tutorial.
Tuesday, June 12
- 6:30 ultimate @ soccer fields
Wednesday, June 13
- Are you getting too much sleep? Do your days feel empty? Join us for a morning bird/wildlife walk. The general plan is to be on the trail by 6:00 am and return before the end of breakfast. If we have enough vehicles, the Audubon center at the end of Upper Canyon Road (just a few minutes' drive, no dogs allowed link) is probably our best option. If we don't have transportation, we'll just head up the trail near campus. Fred and I both have binoculars that can be shared, but if anyone else has a pair they can lend to the endeavor, that'd be great. I'll post more details as the week progresses and we get a better idea of who's coming. Drop me a line or leave your name below if you're interested. [James](james.battin at noaa.gov)
- Join us for "Music on the Hill" at St. Johns college from 6-8pm for food and drink; this Wed is Southwest Jazz Orchestra by Big Band Jazz. For more info see, schedule here.
- 7:00 soccer
Thursday, June 14
- Food and drink at "Cowgirls" on Guadalupe from 6-?
- 6:30 ultimate @ soccer fields
Saturday, June 16
- Climbing excursion: We'll be going back to [Las Conchas] or in the Sandias doing some trad/gear routes. Vikas, Josh, Kath, Olaf, Andy?
june 16 or 17
I'm in. Monika
june 16/17 - Overnight Hike
Andrew - not sure where to go yet, but it would be fun.
I have a one man tent, would be willing to purchase a 2-man tent if there were others interested in heading out.
I don't think I can go that weekend, but I have a tent that'll fit two people comfortably that I'm happy to lend to anyone who wants to go. [James]
Wednesday, June 20
- Join us for "Music on the Hill" at St. Johns college from 6-8pm for food and drink; this Wed is "Ali Ryerson & The John Trentacosta Quintet". For more info see, schedule here.
Thursday, June 21
Thursday The 50th birthday ( Golden JUBILEE _!!! ) of one of the CSSS'ers is falling on this date. Guess who ? Any ideas about a birthday cake, etc ?
- How about we celebrate at "Cowgirls" w/ a cake, music, food and drink. --Luciano Oviedo 21:57, 10 June 2007 (MDT)
I would like to join ! Saleha Habibullah ( email@example.com )
- note: this event is now fully booked.
Wednesday, June 27
- Join us for "Music on the Hill" at St. Johns college from 6-8pm for food and drink; this Wed is Blues, Soul and R&B by "Cathy McGill & Avatar". For more info see, schedule here.
I've been getting some sniffs of interest in the game! I can probably arrange a bat here and we can play tennis ball cricket (I can also offer a tutorial on cricket ;) - for proper leather ball cricket, folks are welcome to practice with the UNM cricket club at Albuquerque coming saturday around noon! (dont worry, it's fun cricket and not professional quality either!), the club (and I) then travel to Colorado for a couple of matches 16/17 June; so if some are interested in a Colorado trip, let me know. [amitabh]
Sun, June 10: We had a nice little cricket session at the St. Johns ground today. What about onother one tomorrrow (Mon, Jun 11) sometime. I have some equipment here - bat, pads, stumps, cricket ball and also tennis balls. Amitabh Trehan
I have met quite a few avid photography enthusiasts here. Let's form a group. NM is a wonderful state for photography, maybe we can plan something! [amitabh]
I'd be happy to point you to some excellent places- we have no shortage here in NM. Lolly firstname.lastname@example.org
I would love to join. The only problem is that I left my camera back home ! HELP ! Saleha Habibullah
Hey, that would be great Lolly !! I'd love to go see some beautiful places ! I'll be writing to you soon :) -- Amelie
I'm not much of a photographer yet, but I brought my camera, and I’m always looking for opportunities to practice. -- jd
El Farol and Other Places to Eat
BTW, some locals said the El Farol is a tapas bar and not a full restaurant. See below for more places.
How about an outing some evening next week? Thursday or Friday night (14th or 15th)? I'm staying about a block from El Farol, on Acequia Madre... Should we run the NetLogo simulation first? :) Mollie.
For fine dining Geronimo comes highly recommended.
the dale ball trails starting from the back of st john's provide 22mi+ of what looks like pretty nice trails for biking (& walking!), plus there are many more excellent trails local and otherwise, and there is also a local bus for $2/day to access some of these. I know aussie simon has aquired a trusty steed and I also have a bike arriving so drop me a line if you keen to get amongst it - it is also possible to rent bikes in town, cheers, aussie dan
- yeeeeah. mike
Monday June 4th
- at 7pm: soccer match @ the athletic field; be there! [Olaf]
- Monday June 4th, 9pm, Polyhmynia 13, Scotch tasting, hosted by Ben Mazzotta
Wednesday, June 6th
- 7pm: climbing @ the Santa Fe Climbing Center; let's meet at the pond in front of the student centre [Gregor]
Friday, June 8th
--I was up that way today. Took the high road and stopped at Chimayo - I thought the Sanctuaria de Chimayo was very, very cool. It is open 9A-6P each day. A little restaurant next door called Oleana's (sp?) serves up homemade tamales until 5P, Thurs-Mon. --Mollie
Saturday, June 9th
- some time in the morning: Excursion to southern NM - Socorro and/or White Sands and/or Roswell. [Gregor] and [T1M]
- Climbing excursion: If you're in, contact me at vikas.shah (at) vanderbilt.edu so we can make plans. We'll be at [Las Conchas] or [Palomas]. Let me know which you prefer. I've been to Conchas, fun smaller area with an easy approach. Never been to Palomas, has a substantially longer approach. I have topos available for both; descriptions and some of the routes are described at the links above. [Vikas Shah]
- Update 6/7 1:30PM : My car is full. If anyone else would like to come, we'll have to arrange for another driver to come.
- Update 6/8 8:50AM : There was unfortunately an injury, and one of the people going had to back out. There's room for one more.
Hike to Nambé Lake, Saturday, June 9th
Folks: we will hike to Nambé Lake, which is a less-strenuous hike in the same area as Santa Fe Baldy. The guide book says the lake is a “special treat”, and there are apparently lots of wildflowers. It is a 5-hour trip (including lunch stop), 7 miles return. The plan is to meet at 9.30am in the usual spot (same place from where the shuttle buses take us to SFI).
The first ten confirmed people are: me (Ryan), Simon, Mike, Elise, Monika, John, Dan, James, Hannah, Fred…
Please add yourself to this list if you want to come (apologies if you gave me a verbal commitment and I forgot).
John has kindly offered to drive and we will also be renting one car. If you want to come and aren't on the list above, please figure out your own transport arrangements (I think Michigan Will might be driving too).
Please bring: lunch (we can stop at a store in the morning); water (2 litres); a raincoat; a warm jumper; decent footwear; sun protection.
Sunday, June 10: Join me for Church, 11am
I'm planning to go to visit a nearbye Baptist church, all are welcome to come. I will likely ride there. I can arrange another bike, or if we are many, perhaps a car. Please let me know below, or by email if you'd prefer. If you wanted to join me for Bible study on a one-off or weekly basis (this would be sitting round to read a passage of the Bible and discuss it) then let me know (again, by email if you'd prefer). All persuassions and questions welcome! Simon_Angus (s.angus AT unsw.edu.au)
I'm interested in both, but don't have a bike or car to get to church... how far is it? Heather (hbeil AT email.unc.edu)
Sunday, June 10 - Hike up Atalaya
Anyone up for a hike this afternoon? I know a bunch of you are probably hiked out after yesterday's excursion, but if anyone would like to tackle Atalaya this afternoon, there is a group of us leaving around 3pm. We'll meet on the road by the dorms at the top of the hill at 3. Hope to see some of you there! ->Josh