CSSS 2007 Santa Fe-After Hours
From Santa Fe Institute Events Wiki
|CSSS Santa Fe 2007
Anyone for Bridge?
- I realise this may be betraying my inner geek a little too much, but I was just wondering if anyone at the school was interested in getting together for a bit of just-for-fun bridge? If enough people are interested, then maybe we could organise a regular evening while we're here. It's a great game and should appeal to all complexity students! (9 out of 10 Grandmothers can't be wrong......!) Any takers, just get in touch with me! [Hannah]
You are a geek. I like playing 500. I would be up for learning Bridge if people are patient. [Ryan]
Have to admit that I played some bridge a loooong time ago... forgotten most about it by now though. But I'm willing to give it a shot (hope for your own sake that you're better in bridge than in pool Hannah ;D) [Johan]
its time to face facts: we all are geeks (you too have been tainted with this brush ryan!) and should be wallowing in it. can this session be titled "everything you ever wanted to know about bridge but were too afraid to ask?" if so, I am in [dan]
I'm sure I can manage to articulate the basics to a willing audience ;o) Hannah
Monday June 4th
- at 7pm: soccer match @ the athletic field; be there! [Olaf]
- Monday June 4th, 9pm, Polyhmynia 13, Scotch tasting, hosted by Ben Mazzotta
Wednesday, June 6th
- 7pm: climbing @ the Santa Fe Climbing Center; let's meet at the pond in front of the student centre [Gregor]
Friday, June 8th
Saturday, June 9th
- some time in the morning: Excursion to southern NM - Socorro and/or White Sands and/or Roswell. [Gregor] and [T1M]
- Climbing excursion: If you're in, contact me at vikas.shah (at) vanderbilt.edu so we can make plans. We'll be at [Las Conchas] or [Palomas]. Let me know which you prefer. I've been to Conchas, fun smaller area with an easy approach. Never been to Palomas, has a substantially longer approach. I have topos available for both; descriptions and some of the routes are described at the links above. [Vikas Shah]
- Update 6/7 1:30PM : My car is full. If anyone else would like to come, we'll have to arrange for another driver to come.
- Update 6/8 8:50AM : There was unfortunately an injury, and one of the people going had to back out. There's room for one more.
two-day trip: saturday, june 9, very early in the morning, drive to the chaco culture national historical park. many hiking trails to choose from. stay overnight. sunday, june 10, hike the la luz trail, stroll the albuquerque streets if time permits [rafal]
Hike to Nambé Lake, Saturday, June 9th
Folks: we will hike to Nambé Lake, which is a less-strenuous hike in the same area as Santa Fe Baldy. The guide book says the lake is a “special treat”, and there are apparently lots of wildflowers. It is a 5-hour trip (including lunch stop), 7 miles return. The plan is to meet at 8.30am in the usual spot (same place from where the shuttle buses take us to SFI).
People who are coming: me (Ryan), Simon, Mike, Elise, Monika, John, Dan, James, Hannah…
Please add yourself to this list if you want to come (apologies if you gave me a verbal commitment and I forgot). John has kindly offered to drive. PLEASE LET ME KNOW AS SOON AS POSSIBLE if you can also drive, otherwise I will book a rental car.
Please bring: lunch (we can stop at a store in the morning); water (2 litres); a raincoat; a warm jumper; decent footwear.
june 16 or 17
I'm in. Monika
Thursday The 50th birthday ( Golden JUBILEE _!!! ) of one of the CSSS'ers is falling on this date. Guess who ? Any ideas about a birthday cake, etc ?
saturday, june 23, need three people for premium box seating for the santa fe rodeo for the 7pm show. the 4-person box is $120 + $8 booking fee, so the cost is $32 per person. need to book asap as the front boxes are disappearing at an alarming rate [rafal]
I would like to join ! Saleha Habibullah ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
I've been getting some sniffs of interest in the game! I can probably arrange a bat here and we can play tennis ball cricket (I can also offer a tutorial on cricket ;) - for proper leather ball cricket, folks are welcome to practice with the UNM cricket club at Albuquerque coming saturday around noon! (dont worry, it's fun cricket and not professional quality either!), the club (and I) then travel to Colorado for a couple of matches 16/17 June; so if some are interested in a Colorado trip, let me know. [amitabh]
I have met quite a few avid photography enthusiasts here. Let's form a group. NM is a wonderful state for photography, maybe we can plan something! [amitabh]
I'd be happy to point you to some excellent places- we have no shortage here in NM. Lolly email@example.com
I would love to join. The only problem is that I left my camera back home ! HELP ! Saleha Habibullah
Hey, that would be great Lolly !! I'd love to go see some beautiful places ! I'll be writing to you soon :) -- Amelie
I'm not much of a photographer yet, but I brought my camera, and I’m always looking for opportunities to practice. -- jd
How about an outing some evening next week? Thursday or Friday night (14th or 15th)? I'm staying about a block from El Farol, on Acequia Madre... Should we run the NetLogo simulation first? :) Mollie
the dale ball trails starting from the back of st john's provide 22mi+ of what looks like pretty nice trails for biking (& walking!), plus there are many more excellent trails local and otherwise, and there is also a local bus for $2/day to access some of these. I know aussie simon has aquired a trusty steed and I also have a bike arriving so drop me a line if you keen to get amongst it - it is also possible to rent bikes in town, cheers, aussie dan