The following is a collection of papers regarded as "classic" literature in Complex Systems Science. This list has been growing over the past few years and was formalized by Dan Rockmore for the 2010 Complex Systems Summer School.
For more readings, please explore the wiki content of previous summer schools.
Science and complexity by Warren Weaver
Rosenblueth, A., and N. Wiener. 1945. The Role of Models in Science. Philosophy of Science 12 (4):316-321.
Shannon, C.E. 1948. A Mathematical Theory of Communication. Bell System Technical Journal 27:379-423 623-656.
Turing, A.M. 1952. The Chemical Basis of Morphogenesis. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B, Biological Sciences 237 (641):37-72.
Minksy, M. 1961. Steps Toward Artificial Intelligence. Proceedings of the Institute of Radio Engineers 49 (1):8-30.
Landauer, R. 1961. Irreversibility and Heat Generation in the Computing Process. IBM Journal of Research and Development 5:183-191.
Arrow, K.J. 1962. The Economic Implications of Learning by Doing. Review of Economic Studies 80:155-173.
Raup, D.M. 1966. Geometric Analysis of Shell Coiling; General Problems. Journal of Paleontology 40 (5):1178-1190.
Holland, J.H., and J.S. Reitman. 1977. Cognitive Systems Based on Adaptive Algorithms. SIGART Newsletter (63):49.
Gould, S.J., and N. Eldredge. 1977. Punctuated Equilibria: the Tempo and Mode of Evolution Reconsidered. Paleobiology 3 (2):115-151.
Langton, C.G. 1986. Studying Artificial Life with Cellular Automata. Physica D: Nonlinear Phenomena 22 (1-3):120-149.
M. E. J. Newman. 2005. "Power laws, Pareto distributions and Zipf's law." Contemporary Physics 46, 323-351.
Aaron Clauset, Cosma Rohilla Shalizi, M. E. J. Newman. 2009. "Power-law distributions in empirical data." SIAM Review 51, 661-703.
Last Updated for SFI CSSS13 March 25 2013
Bibles (Awesome Reference Books)
* All of Statistics (Wasserman). Recommended by Cosma Shalizi.
* All of Nonparametric Statistics (Wasserman). Recommended by Cosma Shalizi.
* Advanced Data Analysis from an Elementary Point of View (Shalizi)
* Nature of Computation (Moore). Recommended by Christopher Moore.
* The Algorithm Design Manual (Skiena). Recommended by Richard Barnes.
* Nonlinear Time Series Analysis (Kantz & Schreiber). Recommended by Liz Bradley.
* Multiagent Systems: Algorithmic, Game-Theoretic, and Logical Foundations (Shoham & Leyton-Brown)