Difference between revisions of "Background Readings CSSS15"
From Santa Fe Institute Events Wiki
|Line 55:||Line 55:|
Revision as of 20:43, 24 June 2015
The following is a collection of papers regarded as "classic" literature in Complex Systems Science. This list has been growing over the past few years and was formalized by Dan Rockmore for the 2010 Complex Systems Summer School.
For more readings, please explore the wiki content of previous summer schools.
Science and complexity by Warren Weaver
Last Updated for SFI CSSS13 March 25 2013
Bibles (Awesome Reference Books)
* All of Statistics (Wasserman). Recommended by Cosma Shalizi. * All of Nonparametric Statistics (Wasserman). Recommended by Cosma Shalizi. * Advanced Data Analysis from an Elementary Point of View (Shalizi) * Elements of Statistical Learning: Data Mining, Inference, and Prediction (Hastie, Tibshirani, Friedman). Recommended by Glenn Magerman
* Nature of Computation (Moore). Recommended by Christopher Moore. * The Algorithm Design Manual (Skiena). Recommended by Richard Barnes.
* Nonlinear Time Series Analysis (Kantz & Schreiber). Recommended by Liz Bradley.
* Elements of Information Theory (Thomas M. Cover, Joy A. Thomas). Recommended by Simon DeDeo and others * The Mathematical Theory of Communication (Claude Shannon)
* Multiagent Systems: Algorithmic, Game-Theoretic, and Logical Foundations (Shoham & Leyton-Brown)
* Networks: an Introduction (Mark Newman). Recommended by Daniel Citron (and everyone, really. It's actually that good) * Dynamical Processes on Complex Networks (Barrat, Barthélemy, Vespignani). Recommended by Daniel Citron * Graph Theory (Reinhard Diestel). Great introduction to mathematics/proofs. Recommend by Glenn Magerman * Modern Graph Theory (Bollobas). Great & more intense introduction to math/proofs. Recommended by Glenn Magerman * Social and Economic Networks (Matt Jackson). Recommended by Glenn Magerman * Connections: An Introduction to the Economics of Networks (Sanjeev Goyal). More about game theory on networks. Recommended by Glenn Magerman
* Phi: A Voyage from the Brain to the Soul (Giulio Tononi). Recommended by Stefano Gurciullo * Consciousness as integrated information: a provisional manifesto (Giulio Tononi). Recommended by Stefano Gurciullo
Cognition and Biology
* Mind in Life (Evan Thompson). Recommended by Jelle Bruineberg * Dynamics in Action (Alicia Juarrero). Recommended by Jelle Bruineberg * Metabolic Ecology: A Scaling Approach (Sibley, Brown & Kondrik-Brown). Recommonded by Cobain